Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Books I Read on Holiday: Reviewed

Normal People by Sally Rooney.

I did not anticipate how sad this book would be. It is super thought provoking and deals with mental illness and certain social issues on a very personal level. I am not quite sure whether I really ENJOYED this book, but I definitely liked the way Sally makes you empathise with the characters, even if you don't necessarily sympathise with them. 8/10.


The Flat Share by Beth O'Leary.

This is a lovely, funny, romantic, feel good book. Serious themes such as racial profiling, abusive relationships and terminal illness make this book more interesting as it makes you think as well as being a nice story and it makes the book a little less 'mushy' too. My only issue is that I'm not sure how realistic the concept is. 9/10.

Every Colour of You by Amelia Mandeville.

This book ruined me for a good few days. I don't want to give the story away, so I won't say too much about it. However I will say that it reminded me of 'All the Bright Places' by Jennifer Niven. Do not read unless you're prepared to cry. 8/10.

Are We Nearly There Yet by Lucy Vine.

I heard about this book in Cosmopolitan, where it was described at the comedy of the summer. I however found it far more cringe than funny, and it was too long winded on the moral message section (there was a whole chapter on what the main character had 'learned about herself'). That being said I did manage to read the whole thing, so it wasn't unbearable. 5/10.

Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott.

Oh god, this was heart breaking. It tells the story of two terminally ill teenagers falling in love despite the probable consequences. This is love in its purest form: unstoppable. Read this and feel the immediate urge to donate to cystic fibrosis charities. I look forward to watching the movie soon too. 8/10.




No comments:

Post a Comment