Friday, May 10, 2019

Easy Ways to Help the Planet


This post isn't going to just give you the usual tips such as 'turn out your lights' and 'use a reusable coffee cup', because much as they're great ideas, we all know about those things already. This post is about small changes you may not have thought about making. We all want to save the planet, but not all of us have the willpower to go vegan or the money to buy an electric car, so here are some simple ways you can make a big difference.
  • Switch out cow's milk for vegan alternatives. Even if you only do this for some things and not others, it can make a difference. For example, I still use my regular semi-skimmed on my cereal, but I use oat or almond milk in my coffee and my porridge. Just give it a try, you may surprise yourself and actually prefer it!
  • Try a couple of meat free days a week. I love a good cheeseburger as much as the next girl, but I'd rather not die from a polluted planet. Even if it's just one day a week, it makes a surprising difference to the environment.
  • Swap your single use sanitary products for washable period pants. If everyone did this, we'd use so much less plastic and it saves so much money in the long run. To read about the ones I use, click here.
  • When it comes to clothes, save up and buy a piece that will last instead of just choosing the first cheap version you can find. Fast fashion can result in so much waste, so just think about how much use you will get out of something before you buy it. Obviously, I realise this is not an option for everyone or everything, but quality over quantity can actually help your wallet over time.
  • Buy a fold away shopping bag. Bags for life are great, and for a weekly shop they're the perfect size, but when you're in town and just see something you want or need it can be super handy to have a small carrier bag tucked away in your purse.
Overall, what I'm trying to say is we don't have to save the planet in one day. Baby steps can make the whole thing seem so much less overwhelming! Just give it a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment