Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Let's Talk About Mental Health


Something I have been seeing more and more of on social media is a positive movement to get people talking about their mental health. I wanted to jump aboard this train, because it is so so so important and I know it is something I always struggle with. I hate feeling like I'm bothering people with my problems, or I can't explain why exactly I'm feeling down or I feel like the reason is too stupid. I wanted to share some tips for those of you who are like me that aren't the usual 'exercise, talk to your GP, be honest with those you love most' (although those are brilliant tips too).
  1. Keep a diary. I find it is helpful to write down how I've been feeling, what I've found stressful and how I combatted that stress. This means that I can make connections between life events and emotions and hopefully overcome problems more easily in the future by remembering how I dealt with them in the past. It also doesn't involve other people so you can keep it a bit private without unhealthily bottling up your emotions.
  2. Do things that are good for your mental health, but don't use that as an excuse to procrastinate. Taking a bath when you are stressed can be a good idea, but not if you're putting off a time sensitive task (like an essay or report your boss wants by tomorrow morning).
  3. Junk food can make you feel better on occasion, but don't allow yourself to have so much that your physical health suffers. It's true that physical and mental health are extremely closely linked.
  4. Even if you're very tired or very awake, try to keep your sleep schedule as regular as possible. You'll thank me later.
  5. It's okay to cut people out of your life who are toxic to you, no matter who they are.
  6. PUT. YOURSELF. FIRST. WHEN. YOU. NEED. TO. Don't ever feel like anything is more important than how you are feeling.
  7. And remember, there are plenty of resources available to you. I won't copy in any specifics, but search for them online or ask your doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment